RED Award Nominations
Nominate before January 30th, 2018
Below are the awards that will be given out on March 22, 2018. Nomination form is at the bottom of the page.
If a deserving individual/group comes to mind, nominate for them to be recognized!
- You may fill out multiple nominations
- You may nominate yourself, unless other wise specified in award description
- Award recipients must be in Good Academic Standing (GPA of 2.0 or higher)
All Student Life and Community Service Awards must meet the following criteria:
- Contributes to the life of the UNB, Fredericton, or greater communities.
- Demonstrates personal values through action.
- Creates or contributes to new initiatives that inspire others.
- Contributes to a culture of student leadership and social responsibility.
Community Outreach Award Student/Club Criteria: (1)
- This award recognizes an outstanding student leader or group that has demonstrated significant leadership, commitment and service aimed at improving the community they live in.
- Has to be a student club that is active in the UNB community and beyond, providing services and addressing issues in the community.
- Has demonstrated consistency in planning and delivery of programming or events, high student participation and attendance of their membership and sets an example for other student societies.
Cultural Society of the Year Criteria: (1)
- Presented to a student society associated with UNB and has raised awareness, engaged students, and increased representation of a culture, religion, or spirituality on campus.
- Strives to be inclusive in all events and programming throughout the year
- Demonstrates consistency in event planning and delivery, high participation and attendance of its membership, and sets an example for other student societies
Campus Event(s) of the Year Criteria: (3)
- This award recognizes outstanding achievements in event and program planning for a UNB Fredericton Campus Activity:
- Any sanctioned UNB event/program is eligible for the award.
- The event/ program can have one or multiple organizing organizations/clubs that are recognized by UNBSU.
- The award can be nominated by the organizing club/organization or attendees who are not part of the organizing body.
Club and Society of the Year Criteria: (Two Awards- one to best club and one to best society) (2)
- Must be an official UNB club/society
- Demonstrates consistency in event planning and delivery, high participation and attendance of its membership, and sets an example for other student societies and clubs.
- Has implemented fun, innovative and inclusive events throughout the year, and has made positive impacts on our student body.
- Demonstrates a high level of communication and teamwork among within club/society
- Inclusive and welcoming to all new members
Residence Leader of the Year: (Multiple awards given) (5)
- Awarded to current members of residence at UNB in positions of leadership (such as presidents, vice-presidents, house committee members) who have demonstrated an exceptional level of maturity and professionalism.
- Contributes to the life of the residence community.
- Encourage and empower other residents to get involved in the wider community.
- Promotes an atmosphere of respect.
- Takes initiative in creating new opportunities for their peers.
Sportsmanship Award: (3-5)
- Awarded to a student involved in sports on campus at any level (not just competitive) and demonstrates fair and generous behaviour of others, especially in a sports context. Best exemplifies the spirit of the game by his/her attitude, demeanor, and treatment of fellow competitors, teammates, coaches and officials and acceptance of victory or defeat graciously.
- Demonstrates positive leadership and inspires others to get involved.
- Clearly demonstrates sportsmanship: the act as behavior exhibited during competition by student-athletes based on values, respect and integrity.
- Display acts of integrity that go beyond the sport's playing rules and etiquette and put others’ needs before their own.
- Consider one for each level (Varsity, Club, Intramural)
- On field and off the field
Dr. James Downey Leadership Award
This award is selected by a Committee formed by the AVP of Student Services to include representation from the Undergraduate Awards Office.
- Awarded on the basis of “outstanding contribution to student life” to a student who is a member of the Student Union (i.e. paid the Student Activity Fee).
- The recipient must be in good academic standing.
Fine Arts/Performing Arts Award Criteria: (1)
- Must be enrolled/involved in an arts program at UNB
- Demonstrates an aptitude for and interest in the cultural and artistic dimension of life.
- Provides inspiration, encouragement and support to their peers through their passion of the arts.
- Provides leadership and the development of the arts within UNB, as well as the outside community.
Teaching Excellence Award Criteria: (1)
This award recognizes excellence and contributions in teaching.
- Candidates may be anyone who has taught, or is teaching, at least one semester course in a UNB faculty.
- Demonstrates dedication and passion towards their field of work and to their students.
- Provides evidence of outstanding teaching, which can include but not limited to:
- Evidence of excellent overall quality in teaching courses as determined by students and peers at both the undergraduate level and, where possible, the graduate level.
- Evidence of sustained commitment to excellence in teaching and learning over a number of years.
- Incorporation of innovative and evidence-based teaching and learning approaches where possible and appropriate.
- Utilization of effective and innovative assessment methods that focus on the deep learning of the subject and the development of critical thinking, collaboration, and problem-solving skills.
- Having a comprehensive knowledge of the subject and setting high standards and motivating students to attain them.
BMO Outstanding Contribution to Student Life Criteria: (5) (Main Award)
- Awarded to students who have demonstrated an outstanding level of commitment, leadership, creativity, and initiative to UNBSU, as well as to the campus and community at large.
- Has consistently proven to be passionate and strives for the betterment of student life through their initiatives.
- Demonstrates academic excellence and acts as a mentor and an inspiration to their peers through academics and their contribution to student life/ the community.
Inclusion Award Criteria: (1)
- This award recognizes an organization that help make UNB a school where everyone belongs.
- Demonstrate the concept and practice of diversity into action by creating an environment of involvement, respect, connection and support.
- Must be an official UNB organization, committee or club.
Best New Club Criteria: (1)
- Must be an official UNB student group or association that is new to the 2017-2018 school year.
- Have proven to be innovative and have created exceptional and original events and initiatives that have positively impacted the community (inside or outside of UNB).